Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Overcoming Faith: Obstacles to letting go of my Religion

I stopped believing in God when I was 18. Unlike most, I cannot point to one single watershed moment between my religious life and non-belief. There were glimpses I suppose, fits and starts when I felt it slipping, but never a reverberating snap.
An early realization that my mind was in flux came the night I snapped my crucifix while washing my face and watched it clang down the drain, into the abyss. Thoughts of how to trace the water pipe through the six-story dormitory and where to fish out my sterling silver cross occupied my entire, sleepless night. On recovering from the numbness though, I felt immense relief. A wellspring of liberty came over me as the object on which I had centered my mind during prayer no longer hung around my neck.

Denial

Denial is one of the most difficult stages of grief and I felt deeply enclosed by it in the following weeks. Like most believers do, I turned for help to my closest Christian friend. Not for some sort of intervention but so that I would regain the certainty I once had, perhaps through a spiritual osmosis of some kind. More than anything I missed my former freedom from thoughts about death. Death rattled me through and through. So much so that I suffered from insomnia and could drink an adult dose of Nyquil and feel more awake.

Despite his best efforts (and thanks to Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ”) the time had come to admit it: I didn’t believe in God. For people who have been “reborn” into the religion or only grown in faith it will seem that I made a choice. Many try to rationalize it with having wayward company or God “testing” my faith. “He made a purposeful decision,” they think to themselves. And yet, I can tell you it wasn’t. My brain had changed.

An inadvertent shift had occurred at the level of my unconscious, and therefore conscious, thoughts. I was no longer unthinkingly convinced by scripture or automatically taken by the ideal of Jesus Christ. It was like I had suddenly found that 2 and 2 is not equal 4. I suspect most non-believers become stuck in this stage. They rebel against all Christian ideals, even those shared with humanitarians, and crusade against Jesus in totality. Good and bad. Down with the bathwater.

It was not a choice to leave religion any more so than it is a choice for a child from a Christian family in a Christian neighborhood of a Christian city in a majority Christian country to become Christian. We are not offered the choice we don’t know exists.

Guilt

Denial may have slowed my exodus but it was guilt that kept me from asking the right questions earlier. My faith had been riveted in place by my not especially religious family and Catholic high school tenure. Our small, often disagreeable and cliquish family rarely mention their faith overtly. Rather like an asteroid orbit, they tend to recall their faith after lengthy absences stemming from good fortune. Only when gravity tugs at those good times are they reminded, and annoyingly remind others, of Christianity’s false consolation: We are born in sin and powerless to become righteous without Jesus.

Re-reading the lyrics to my favorite hymn[i] from high school mass, it’s impossible not to notice how laced it is with the twin poisons of utter dependence and self-loathing: “Other refuge have I none, I helpless, hang on Thee.” One only need consider the aching conscience needed to write these hymn lyrics:
“By my sins I have deservedDeath and endless misery” [ii]
However, the development of a guilty conscience is not always explicitly wanton. It is often the subtle hooks that sink the deepest: “I thought you wanted to be one of us.” I am certain much of Christian upbringing is meted out in similar, however well-intentioned, applications of social pressure. For instance, saying that one can feel the Holy Ghost or know the existence of God sets the bar for others to follow. Those without such feelings face a tough choice: Either admit emptiness when it comes to such knowledge or fake it. Admission can be taken as a sign your faith is not strong enough, especially in younger participants building their social abilities, and make you an outcast. Faking faith is a social imperative and one that becomes all-too natural with practice.
I encountered this in a way that will forever stay with me:

Quite out of the blue one Sunday, my father brought my brother and I to his spiritualist church. He had never forced his new-found religion on us so we went along with his paternalistic attempt. Light filled the small airy room we sat in and we brothers stole glances at each other, withholding giggles. Then the preacher, a gentle but captivating presence, threw his head back. Frightening quivers rolled up his stocky frame and spewed from him in a garbled, rolling syntax. Clearly this was what everyone had come for. He bellowed and castigated in a language no one needed interpreted and ended the ceremony 15 minutes later in an exhausted heap. His spiritual scaffolding had seemingly given way.

Afterwards, and with no explanation of what we’d just seen, my father invited us into a prayer circle. My brother and I bracketed him with another six or seven elderly congregation members all holding hands. Each said a few words then fell into silence. The stillness was broken when I felt a tremor start in my hand and work up my arm. It was coming from my father’s sweaty hands in nervous bursts. I felt my brother’s startled look and could tell he was undergoing the same seismic sensation. Like all close siblings, that look was enough. As we turned our faces and bit down mercilessly, our cheeks hot and bunched in disbelieving grins, our minds shared a question: Does he really expect us to believe this?

Perhaps we were old enough to ‘get it’ or maybe he lost our trust in that moment. Whatever the case is, I have no doubt that an earlier try would have worked. Right on cue we would flail our arms, grappling with the surge of spirit throbbing in our heads and chant along in unison. How different would my mind be? How much more trying the escape? Those are questions that wouldn't occur to that mind: a sure mind in lock-step with like-minded believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment